Cambodia Incursion

The darkest day of my Vietnam Tour was May 6, 1970 in Cambodia


The sky was filled with birds as 1st Air Cav Skytroopers launched the attack.

I knew something was up when we were instructed to board our choppers extra early for our daily flight northward. We normally flew to Firebase Buttons and waited for a mission, but this day proved to be different. Our birds continued north and landed at Bu Dop, which was one kilometer (1000 meters) from the Cambodia border.
When we landed, we were briefed on our mission of the day and why the men of Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry of the 1st Air Cav Division had congregated on the airstrip. At 7:30 AM an assault into Cambodia was scheduled and our Blue platoon would be QRF (Quick Reaction Force) for down birds. Our Scout birds and Cobras (Pink Team) would lead the way followed by Charlie Company, 2/7th, inserted by the vast number of choppers lined up on the airstrip.

I was the Blues radio guy that day and a down bird rescue mission was almost immediate. Our two Hueys cranked and we were on our way. One of our Scout birds got shot down as the invasion began.

Army news reporter (PFC Scott Long) was at Bu Dop that morning to cover the invasion. He managed to jump on the same bird as our platoon leader Lt. Michael La Chance, myself and five other Blues. He recorded the action as it happened on a cassette player while seven of us Blues rappelled down into the jungle.

WO Dave Farrell was the A/C (Aircraft Commander) of our bird. This was only his second mission as an A/C and did a great job positioning his ship in a high hover while we rappelled.

Our other Huey with Blues on board beat us to the down bird site and crashed as they made their approach. It wasn’t clear if they got shot down or simply lost power. Now we had an additional down bird on this mission. Our chopper hovered above the down Huey (which did not burn on impact) while seven of us rappelled down to rescue our fellow Blues. CPT Rhett Lewis (one of the Huey pilots) and three Blues were injured in the crash and medevaced out.

This is when there was a turn of events. Our Medic decided conditions were too dangerous to continue and wanted all of us extracted without completing our mission.

It was then decided which Blues would continue on with Lt. La Chance. I had no choice because I was the radio guy. Five of us made our way to the burning Loach which was about 30 meters away, but seemed much farther due to the thickness of the jungle undergrowth. When we arrived, we discovered the pilot and crew chief had died in the crash.

We radioed for a Medevac chopper and when it arrived the crew lowered two body bags down to us. After placing the bodies into the bags, they were lifted up to the chopper hovering above us. We were constantly watching for enemy movement as we knew the unfriendlies had to be in the area.

Our mission was complete except for getting ourselves out. The only way we could be extracted was by the McGuire rig. There were five of us and three men per trip was the max, so that meant Lt. La Chance and I would be taken out last. We radioed for a Lift bird (Huey) equipped with McGuire rigging ropes on board to extract us.
When they arrived, three ropes attached to floor of the hovering chopper were dropped down to us. Three Blues attached themselves to the ropes and were lifted away to the nearest friendly LZ. That left Lt. La Chance and I all alone waiting for our chopper to return. Each minute seemed like an hour as we stood back to back watching for enemy movement with thoughts of Charlie closing in. My worst fear was the two of us occupying a room at the Hanoi Hilton (POW).

The jungle got very quiet with an occasional bamboo stick falling to the ground. My imagination ran wild and I opened up with my M-16 on nothing more than suspicious sounds. That surely gave our position away.
Then suddenly that all familiar chopper sound could be heard, in the distance. Our Huey made its approach and hovered above us. They dropped two ropes down, and we attached them to our rappelling ropes, we had tied around our chest. We were then flown through the air (McGuire rig style) to a safe LZ.

To this day whenever I hear a chopper in the distance, I have flashbacks of that memorable day in Cambodia.

There is much more to this story than the Blues efforts to rescue the men that were shot down.
Crew Chief/Gunner Gary McKiddy performed an act of ‘heroism’ that cost him his life. He was killed that day along with the pilot, WO1 Tommy Whiddon when the helicopter they were in was shot down. Gary was either thrown or jumped free of the crash upon impact with the ground. Although the chopper was burning, Gary risked his own life when he returned to the chopper and retrieved the copilot, Jim Skaggs, and carried him to safety. Gary again returned to the chopper, even though it was burning out of control and ammo from inside of the chopper was “cooking off”, in an attempt to rescue the pilot, WO1 Tommy Leon Whiddon. As Gary entered the chopper and positioned himself to retrieve the pilot, the fuel cells exploded and killed both men. When the rescue team arrived, Gary was found stretched across the seat that he had just removed Skaggs from, laying across Whiddon with one arm behind him. The transmission had fallen across Gary’s back pinning him in. The military tells us that this happened after the explosion, and he was already dead when this occurred.

Gary was awarded the Silver Star for his action, however there is a bill pending in Congress that if approved will provide for Gary to receive the Medal of Honor for his actions; the bill is HR 369. Gary had flown more than 650 combat missions and was awarded 37 medals during his 6 months in Nam.

In August of 1999, the First Air Cavalry Division dedicated a barracks at Fort Hood, Texas, in honor of Gary Lee McKiddy. Inside of the 400 person building there is a day room that displays pictures of Gary from the time he was a baby until soon before his death, as well as a trophy case with all of Gary’s medals in it. A beautiful plaque on the outside of the building tells the story of his heroism.

Down Bird Audio (May 6, 1970)


Filed under Vietnam War

21 responses to “Cambodia Incursion

  1. Kurt Schatz (Cav 12)

    Thanks for sharing…I remember the day and why it happened. Sad to say the least but best not spoken of.

  2. usastruck


    I just added it…


  3. Mike Cody

    I was one of the wounded that day. When we got over the LOH, I believe to this day that we were shot down. My feet started touching the tops of the trees and when we hit the ground, I was thrown out partially and my hand ripped open in the cubby hole behind the pilot. I was medivaced as well. I was shipped home. No one told me while I was 24th Evac that some of you continued on to get McKiddy. Thanks for finishing the mission.

    • usastruck

      Mike, I’m still trying to piece together the exact details of what all occurred that day.
      I also don’t remember the names of all the ‘Blues’ on that rescue mission.
      Maybe you can help…

  4. Mike La Chance

    Wow Rob,

    The enhanced audio is really good. We all owe you a huge debt for chronicaling the exploits of the Blues for our grandchildren to experience. YOU DONE GOOD! I am proud to have served with such a fantastic bunch of guys and will always take pride in knowing I was one of you.


  5. John J Mackel

    That was great. Your description of events and the audio bought back memories of how dangerous our missions usually were. Being able to read what happened and listen to someone giving a blow by blow is fantastic. Thanks so much for all you are doing. Just a day in the life of a 1/9 Trooper and if you lived through it, it was a little added bonus. That was better than great. I assume that was La Chance being interviewed about the mission. He was great also. Ditto the comments about serving with the best.
    Blue – late 69 early 70

    • usastruck

      Yes, that was La Chance being interviewed by the reporter at Bu Dop prior to us Blues being inserted. It would be quite a bonus to be able to locate that reporter (PFC Scott Long) after forty years and see if he remembers that mission. Good chance he never forgot, and I wonder if he kept the recording.
      La Chance must have been your replacement as the Blue platoon leader. I’m sure our missions were quite similar. The dangers we endured on our missions didn’t really bother me until I was out of the Blues and had time to think about it.

      Thanks John for your comments and Welcome Home…

  6. John McKiddy

    The 3 men on the downed loach were: Gary McKiddy, Jim Skaggs and Tommy Whiddon.
    Gary was the door gunner in the ack of the bird, and was thrown free or jumped out on impact. He pulled Jim Skaggs to safety, but was killed by the helicopter blowing up as he tried to save Tommy. Jim lived, and has become close friends of my family. I am Gary’s brother.

  7. usastruck

    Do you know the status of the bill pending in Congress to award Gary the MOH for his acts of valor?
    I never knew Gary personally; he had to be a very special person to do what he did that day…

  8. John McKiddy

    The last I heard of it, it was bogged down in the halls of Congress.

  9. I thought I would share a couple of resources on Sgt McKiddy: and the YouTube Video of Gary’s story

    Dan Delph

  10. Marc Barber

    Does anyone remember a E4 or E5 Gerald Wade “Jerry” Wilson? I believe that he was a Pathfinder for your unit. He was from Arkansas.

  11. Debbie y. Lewis

    Thanks for sharing, I am wife of the late Cpt.Rhett W. Lewis CAV.43.
    I know that he believed his aircraft (Huey) was shot down.
    God Bless,
    Debbie Y. Lewis

  12. Duke Barrett

    Amazing stuff and great audio. Again, my hat is off to you all 1/9 guys. Well done!

  13. Brent Upright

    My Brother Brian Dale Upright was killed in Viet Nam, and was wondering if anyone out there remembers him

  14. Len Bulow 5th Inf. 1968

    A very rare and heart felt audio. With no pictures needed. 2 thumbs up to the commentator who held it together through it all. In casing those doing a job to help save others in the word hero’s in its highest form. Thank you Robert for forwarding it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s